Now hear this!
Them KC Boys
A Kansas City Conundrum.
Who the what...?
Jill Westra & Them KC Boys are a Kansas City-based, woman-fronted, full band with their fingers in a number of musical pies. Their catalog of original tunes draws on Jill’s influences that include Texas singer-songwriters such as Robert Earl Keen, as well as 1960s Bakersfield and Memphis blues. In August 2019 the band (as a trio) released an EP entitled “so_low” that will take you on a grass rootsy, acoustic-yet-gutsy trek through four up-tempo foot-stompers, heavy on chutzpa. Playing live, you can expect extra electric guitar added to the bash, for even more oomph.
The panoply of musical styles that got all stirred together in this trippy troupe spans from bass player Leo Eilts’ smooth, western Kansas cowboy crooner alter-ego, to drummer Joe Guthrie’s rock n’ roll crash-bangs. Mr. Mark Franzke brings his flatpicking bluegrass chops & sweet harmonies because that's what was in the contract. The result? A lot of fun paired with cleverly-written songs that will keep you wide awake from a heavy dose of full-tilt vocals, great harmonies, and plenty of ruckus. And it all comes with a toe-tapping guarantee!
some moving pictures. . .
- Thu, Mar 24WestwoodMar 24, 7:00 PM CDTWestwood, 4707 Rainbow Blvd, Westwood, KS 66205, USAJoin us for ULAH Live Sessions, a monthly intimate in store concert. March features a performance from Jill Westra and Them KC Boys. You don't want to miss this one! Brought to you by You Found Music. Drinks and bites included. Limited seating for 30, so grab your ticket today! Doors at 7:00.
- Mon, Dec 20Kansas CityDec 20, 2021, 6:00 PM CSTKansas City, 1520 Grand Blvd, Kansas City, MO 64108, USAJoin us for the fifth annual (fourth in-person) Cover Me, Kansas City! In this celebration of Kansas City music, 11 different local artists will each cover songs by other local artists of their choice. All proceeds from the show will be donated to the Midwest Music Foundation. Doors open at 6pm.
- Sat, Jul 31Buck - U DistilleryJul 31, 2021, 8:00 PM – 11:00 PMBuck - U Distillery, 3970 Tennessee Rd, Ottawa, KS 66067, USAOriginally a Stuckey's. Now a beautiful indoor/outdoor distillery featuring Bourbon Whiskey, Vodka, Rum, Brandy, Gin and 100% Natural Fruit and Spice Infusions. All natural fruits and grains locally sourced.
- Fri, Oct 23Gaslight Gardens
- Fri, Aug 28Bar KAug 28, 2020, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PMBar K, 501 Berkley Pkwy, Kansas City, MO 64120, USABar K is a unique new destination featuring a modern bar, restaurant, live music venue and dog park located in downtown Kansas City on the shore of the Missouri River in Berkley Riverfront Park. And we're gonna rock it.
meet the band!
Lead vocalist, guitarist and Songwriter-in-Chief, Jill Westra (above, center) is a road-weary scientist by day and multi-instrumentalist moonlighter. She performs as a with the acoustic trio "Distant Cousins" as well as all by her lonesome, when everyone else has had enough of her.
Drummer Joe Guthrie (above, center) is a hard rock n' roller who keeps the band on the straight and narrow with his iron fist of authority and rock solid beats. We begrudgingly share him with the Wakarusa River Band when we have to.
Bass-snuggler and band Hat Director Leo Eilts (above, left) has played in all the Kansas City bands that ever existed, including Total Strangers, Spontaneous Combustion, and is currently the bad boy of KC's headed-for-legendary-status cowboy band, 3 Trails West.
New guy Mark Franzke (above, left) is our lead guitar string-strangler and boy, can he pick a Telecaster! Not only is Mark voted "Most Lovable" band member, but he's the only guy to go to if you need your guitar repaired, your mandolin built from scratch or your banjo (finally) tuned. He's a wizard of all the musics.
Who's in this
crazy omnium gatherum